Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chapter 7: Parents and Their School-Age Children

Parental Influences on the Acquisition of Skills and Competencies
I chose this article because i felt it gave actual suggestions or examples of what we as parents should be doing to benefit our children.  It also puts the responsibility on the parent which IS where it lies.  All too often i see parents smacking their children around or telling them to shup up so they can talk to a friend at coffee, it makes me sick to my stomach.  WHY did you have children if you didn't want to cherish every moment with them? 

I just thought this was a different perspective.  Just looking at what is "normal" or "expected" in a country other than our own.


I love the fact that ideas are EVERYWHERE.  Tell me that your children wouldn't want to play a game with you even if it is educational!  It seems so easy now days to "hide" education in games and things you can do everyday with your child.  Of course you can quiz them for spelling B's or read with them before bed, check their math homework.  But what about going above and beyond?  What about getting them ready for their future.  Just because our children aren't learning something today doesn't mean they won't soon, why not be the one to teach your children at home. 



I LOVE finding things i can do with my neices and nephews and as my son grows up him too!  There are so many places set up to take your children wrapped in a learning environment.  Being a part of their education is a gift you will never have taken away from you if you invest in it.  Here is a picture of my two neices and my son just yesterday at the Children's Museum in Olympia. 




No comments:

Post a Comment